Concerned Hamburger wrote a post regarding the Pinocchio like behavior of Mr. Steve Achramovitch who is out on paid administrative leave. Mr. Achramovitch's underling Mr. Jetter was taught well. If you read the post below which in part was first published in December 2010 and remade in October 2012, you will notice the lies that were told to the previous board by Mr. Achramovitch and Dr. Jetter.
Concerned suggests it must look easy and tempting to lie to an entire Board of Education as they are seven volunteers, and likely do not realize they are being lied to by people who by all standards should be honorable and speak only the truth.
In the post below pay particular attention to the definition of substitute: n. one that takes the place of another, a replacement. So, a long term substitute could only be hired if the absence of a proper probationary or tenured teacher. You can not substitute something that is not there.
So in the latest fabrication of staffing appointments, it seems clear that when the Math teacher in HHS resigned in November 2012 and the Math Teacher in HMS resigned in March 2013- both jobs should have been posted, internally and externally. But rather some odd shell game was perpetrated by Jetter, and the positions were filled with substitute teachers.
Why? Well that is a question Dr. Jetter should answer.However, if you notice point 3 and 4 in the post below, the math teaching jobs are not the first time permanent positions were filled with substitute, and likely "non-union" staff. A reader suggested to Concerned Hamburger that the teachers union ought file an Improper Practice "IP" with Public Employers Relation Board "PERB". Union jobs can not be filled with non-union workers, and it appears Mr. Jetter has a history of this.
Another whopper told by Dr. Jetter was the "revamping" of the teacher coordinator positions. Dr. Jetter intentionally attempted to post positions in violation of the teachers union contract- and he got busted and outed for his flagrant attempts to violated the labor law.
So, new Board of Education, lies are not new. Some of the evidence is posted below. The Board needs to decide if lies by an acting superintendent or anyone in the Hamburg school community are acceptable. If the board of education turns a blind eye to the lies and deception then they are no better than the person doing the lying.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you." Nietzsche
REPOSTED FROM OCTOBER 2012----
With compensation over $175,000 per year, Mr. Achramovitch is
honesty too much to ask for?
Concerned Hamburger published the following missive (purple-read below)on the questionable appointment of Steven Achramovitch as Superintendent of Hamburg Central Schools in December 2010. Since the publication of the post almost two years ago, Concerned has been contacted by scores of school community members who expressed deep concern about issues which have surfaced since the appointment of Mr. Achramovitch. While reading a brief summary of these issues, please keep in mind President Joan Calkin's remarks about Mr. Achramovitch's "legal expertise'. Her remarks were made public in December 2010, and could be viewed as a premonition of the legal matters created under a superintendent who seems to take folly in manufacturing issues that need not exist. One might argue that Mr. Achramovitch intentionally disrupts the lives of others simply because he can, and with no regard for the consequences of his behavior.
Here are just a few examples of the recent dust ups under "legal expert" Superintendent Steven Achramovitch.
1. At the November 8, 2010 Hamburg Board of Education meeting, Steven Achramovitch, and then Assistant Superintendent Gregg Davis lied to the entire Board of Education claiming the Hamburg Teachers Association approved the Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR). This was a flat out lie, done in public and captured in the School Board minutes. By NYS Law, the teachers must vote and approve any changes to their collective bargaining agreement. Oddly, the Board of Education does not seem to care that they were lied to. Strangely those who are meant to be modeling good citizenship attributes seemingly turn their backs on the lies and manipulation of Mr. Achramovitch- their subordinate.
2. On a regular basis student enrollment numbers are misrepresented by Mr. Achramovitch. Anyone who was present at any of the BOE meetings last school year will remember well the exchanges between Mr. Achramovitch and Board Member Balaya, who monthly challenged the superintendent on the student enrollment at Union Pleasant. Now, here we go again. Most recently due to the apparent fabrications of the Superintendent, the district had to hire teachers at the fifth grade levels at Charlotte Avenue, Armor Elementary and Boston Valley. Strangely, teachers were only hired after parents and staff revealed the outrageous class sizes at several Board Meetings. Why hasn't the Board of Education seen the disconnect between what Steve says about enrollment, and what is reality. Joan, just because you want to believe Steve, doesn't mean you should.
3. Three elementary teacher positions were created because parents complained. The Charlotte Avenue and Boston Valley positions were created after the school year started. Yes, you got it. A district which claims that they do not want to disrupt the educational setting of the students have disrupted the students by having to shuffle around classrooms after the school year began. Why? It seems that Mr. Achramovitch can't get his numbers straight. Or, if he has his numbers straight, he massages them and presents them to the BOE so to support his slashing and burning of Hamburg teachers.
4. So, with the clear need to hire 3 new elementary school teachers at grade 5 level, Mr. Achramovitch and Dr. Jetter decided to circumvent NYS Educational Law and New York State Labor Law, and hire long term substitute teachers in lieu of hiring proper probationary-tenure track teachers, this is what schools do when new positions are created so long as the call back list is exhausted.
Steve: FYI- Substitute n. one that takes the place of another, a replacement. So, a long term substitute could only be hired if the absence of a proper probationary or tenured teacher.
5. Most recently it seems that once again, Dr. Jetter and Mr. Achramovitch lied to the Board of Education. At the October BOE meeting, the Board of Education voted on an alleged Memorandum of Agreement "MOA" between the HTA and the District to "revamp" the teacher coordinator positions. Well, Board of Education, you were lied to, again. No such MOA was signed, the teachers never agreed to the conditions of the proposed teacher coordinator position.
Joan and BOE, shame on you if you are OK with these lies! What does it say about you as a BOE that Steve feels comfortable telling bold faced lies?
So, Board of Education, how many more lies are you going to tolerate? You were warned by many that Mr. Achramovitch may not be a good fit for Hamburg. An alarm bell should have gone off back in September 2010, when your BOE meeting was recorded revealing lies and more lies to many in the community.
So how much more of this is the BOE going to permit?
How many more lies will this community continue to turn their collective back on?
At the heart of these matters is a Board of Education President Dr. Joan Calkins who is too arrogant to admit she was wrong in spearheading the move to bring Mr. Achramovitch to Hamburg. And Mr. Achramovitch himself, who was wise enough to extend his contract in June until 2015.
From December 2010-----
They actually did it. They named Steven Achramovitch as superintendent of the Hamburg Central School District [click here for article]. Despite the wealth of information available at their fingertips, the board unanimously approved him to a 3.5 year deal [click here for official board statement]. I really have a hard time believing he is the best candidate for the job. It is interesting though that Dr. Calkins cites his legal experience as one of his great qualifications. Of course he would have a wealth of legal experience with all the hot water he swam in in his last two school districts. However, that is a moot point and a more relevant discussion would be did the board do this legally? I am not a legal expert, but there may be a few possible problems with his hiring process.
- Mr. Achramovitch did not apply by the posted deadline. Instead he was allowed to "throw his hat in the ring." Allowing a candidate to apply after the deadline without re-posting the job and providing the opportunity for other qualified candidates to apply may be a violation of New York State law and at the very least is a questionable act.
- I understand Mr. Achramovitch did not take an oath of office last night. He has five days after his hiring to take an oath otherwise all his actions as superintendent will be null and void. It must be very hard to swear to uphold the United States and New York Constitutions when in the past Mr. Achramovitch has proven to do just as he pleases.
- Did the special meeting last night usurp the place of regularly scheduled board meetings? There was a board meeting just last week and Dr. Calkins did not think it appropriate to appoint Mr. Achramovitch then? I contend appointing a superintendent is part of regular district business and should be done at a regularly scheduled board meeting.