NEW- THE FLEECING OF THE TAXPAYER- HODGSON RUSS LEGAL BILL

*****NEW****Click on link below to be directed to the Hodgson Russ Legal Bills Jan- May 2016- THE FLEECING OF THE TAXPAYER.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03Rg-d-K8EZYVRLTUxxVmpUNzA/view?usp=sharing


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Freedom of Information Law

If you would like to help obtain public information from the District you may use the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) below or you may use the form available on the District's website [click here for website].  All you need to do is
  1. cut and paste the information below in an email
  2. send the email to Gregg Davis at recordsaccess@hamburgschools.org.
  3. The subject line of your request should be "FOIL Request"
  4. Mr. Davis has five business days to respond to your request
  5. Mr. Davis may request an additional 20 business days to respond to your request
  6. If your request is not answered, it is assumed your request was denied.
  7. If your request is denied you may appeal the denial to the District's FOIL appeal officer. 
  8. If the request is denied by the appeal officer, call the ACLU.
Dear Records Access Officer:

(1) Please email the following records if possible [include as much detail about the record as possible, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.]:

The budgets of the Hamburg Central School District from 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011.  With the budgets please include the actual amounts spent on each budget line.  Therefore, please include the budgeted amount for the particular year along with actual amount spent.

(4) If all the requested records cannot be emailed to me, please inform me by email of the portions that can be emailed and advise me of the cost for reproducing the remainder of the records requested ($0.25 per page or actual cost of reproduction).

(5) If the requested records cannot be emailed to me due to the volume of records identified in response to my request, please advise me of the actual cost of copying all records onto a CD or floppy disk.

(6) If my request is too broad or does not reasonably describe the records, please contact me via email so that I may clarify my request, and when appropriate inform me of the manner in which records are filed, retrieved or generated.

If for any reason any portion of my request is denied, please inform me of the reasons for the denial in writing and provide the name, address and email address of the person or body to whom an appeal should be directed.

Name:
Address [if records are to be mailed].


19 comments:

freedom is not free said...

Do you think the district would ever provide the public with truthful responses? They'd make the numbers up, look at voodoo economics. That says it all, crooks I say, crooks. When the taxpayer gets mad enough things will CHANGE. STORM THE NEXT BOW MTG, GET ANGRY TAXPAYER. Don't Tread on Me.

Anonymous said...

The school board is required to provide this information by law. Either way, I imagine this information is available to anybody who asks. They hold open meetings every month, during which the budget is discussed. They have no secrets to hide regarding how much money they are spending, as well as now much money they are planning on spending.

Anonymous said...

If they don't have anything to hide, why doesn't the Board publish actual amounts spent?

Darlene S. said...

When will the owner of this blog post all the salaries of every teacher, along with the administrators, in the school district? And please add all the extra stipends that the teachers get for doing all that "extra" work.

Anonymous said...

Darlene.....good idea!

Anonymous said...

There is a difference between something being unavailable and something being unpublished. All you have to do is ask. It isn't that hard. What is even easier, is going to the board meetings where they explain it. I went to the one yesterday and they spent half an hour outlining their progress on next year's budget. The problem is, this blog caters to the people who want to do nothing more than read comments on a thread. If you would actually take an initiative in your town's government you would find out there is a lot more information available than you think.

Anonymous said...

They were likely providing you with voodoo economics last night, and we are talking about a school district, not the town!!! Get you head out of the sand!

Anonymous said...

darlene check out seethroughny.net please compare hamburg's saleries/contracts to surrounding districts you may be surprised to learn that hamburg teachers are some of the lowest paid...

Anonymous said...

Darlene- the point of this blog is to make the public aware of the problems of the school board and admin. The teachers are working hard to educate the children of Hamburg and despite the shenanigans of those in power are doing a damn good job.

Anonymous said...

The point is the public shouldn't have to use FOIL to get this information. Publish the board minutes, budgets, amounts spent, etc online. BOARD BRIEFS ARE A JOKE.

Darlene S. said...

To Anonymous (January 5, 2011 3:35 PM)

Do the teacher's choose to teach in the Hamburg school district or are they forced to? If the teachers are jealous of other districts and what their pay is, they should apply for jobs in those school districts. No one is forcing them to stay.

concernedparent1 said...

No Darlene, nobody is forcing them to stay. Are you an educator? I am a teacher, but not in Hamburg. My children do attend Hamburg schools. Noone becmes an educator because they are going to get rich. When I moved to this district, the first thing I did was check out the schools. I was pleased at the status of Hamburg Schools 10 years ago. I am afraid that if we do not attempt to keep the wages competitive these teachers WILL choose to leave. Do I really want my kids being educated by the "leftovers" who just needed a job. I have seen over the past 10 years my district, which was ranked a lot lower on the wealth index than Hamurg, exceed many expectations b/c our BOE and Teachers have continued to work together with the community to make solid decisions for our kids. My district managed their money realtively well, and although we are experiencing budge woes, we are in better shape than many. In fact the teachers, administrators, CSEA members and BOE mutually renewed contracts last year to save staff and programs. BOTH sides made concessions, and the process was quick and relatively painless. By the way, all educators' salaraies were published in Buiness first, and are available on line. As for stipends, they are compensation for coaching and activities which we do because w love kids. Trust me, I lose most of that stiped in taxes. However, I would bet that if your kids activities were cut you would not step up to "volunteer" to spend the hours it taks to organize and supervise students. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

To Darlene S -- are you kidding me? I don't know about you but I would prefer my children be taught by quality teachers who deserve quality pay and stay with the district, not ones that can't get tenure in other places and jump from one job to the next. We have already lost many quality teachers to other higher paying districts. Wake up.

Darlene S. said...

To concernedparent1:

"As for stipends, they are compensation for coaching and activities which we do because w love kids."

Are you implying that if you didn't receive any compensation you would no longer be involved in coaching, reffing, yearbook, etc?

Concernedparent1 said...

Darlene - I am an educator and I spend a lot of unpaid time doing activities w/ and for kids. But I love my son and daughter too. In order to coach these activities I have to line up child care, which cost money and time away from them. My daughter is involved in activities in which we pay her private instructors for, and trust me they are making a lot more money than I am. Is my time and talent not worth being compensated? I suggest before you rant you try walking the walk.

Anonymous said...

Thank you concerned parent! I am shocked by these ignorant responses. What do people expect teachers to attend college for 6 years, obtain a master's degree and then work for peanuts?

Darlene, why don't you pick up an extra shift at work and do it for free? I have relatives that make more money than I do at factory jobs with just a high school diploma, and I've been teaching for quite a few years. That is pathetic!

The teachers aren't expecting to get rich, we just want a livable wage. It is the same with our aides. They are some of the most hard working and dedicated people, and their pay is also the lowest in the area. If you want to complain about something, take a look at the administrators' salaries.

Samantha said...

I agree with Darlene, I for one am sick and tired of listening to teachers complain about how little they make.

Anonymous said...

Teachers make very little compared to how much they work. If you look at a company who hires accountants, actuaries, etc, who have a relatively similar education as a math teacher with their Masters degree, you can see a sizable difference in the amount of hours they work for generally similar pay. This is, of course, after the teacher has spent so many years in the district. It is appalling that the great teachers I had in high school make what they do. As for the superintendent, I understand that her has an administrative position, but his salary is quite ridiculous. I expect six figures, but 170K is a little much. Gallagher deals with a lot more crap than he does, so his pay is deserved.

HHS Staff said...

Gallagher puts up with crap because he CANT manage issues....he allows them to spiral out of control. HE is a terrible administrator, perhaps a pleasant personality, but not management material.